Tuesday, July 10, 2012

[book review : promise me this]

We are so lucky to have the lovely Meghan from MNM's hosting our book club this month.  Her book of choice (Cry, the beloved country) looks amazing, and I'm putting it on my 'to read' list.  I'm not sure if I'll have it done by the end of the month (I'm reading 'Game of Thrones') so I'm reviewing my most recent read and I'll catch up with Meghans choice asap.

Linking up for our bookclub - which I'm hosting next month.  Stay tuned because I'm following on from Meghan's theme with a book of my own.








Promise Me This
Cathy Gohlke


Rated : 6/10

This story is lovely and wistful and romantic in a way that only Christian romance novels can be.  With all the elements of faith and hope in the midst of tragedy, and triumph and heartache, we are left feeling content with the world despite the hard times.

The story is set around a brother and sister who met tragedy when their parents died and they were left in the care of an awful woman, their Aunt Eleanor.  As Owen grows older, he decides to save Annie by taking her to America to their Aunt and Uncle, where they will help with their failing nursery.  Owen needs to raise money to bring Annie over, so he decides to head over first and set things up, and bring her over later, and he sends her to a boarding school in the meantime.  Before he leaves, he meets a boy named Michael who has troubles of his own and takes him under his wing.  

I won't give too much of the story away.  Suffice to say that tragedy strikes again and the characters are left to trust the only thing they have left to bring them through - their faith.

I like the fact that Christian stories don't always have to be about happiness and joy and how nothing ever goes wrong for people that follow Christ.  It's just simply not reality.  The fact is that we all face hard times regardless of faith, race, culture - I just think it is our character and our faith that gets us through those hard times.

This is a nice book to read to remind us of these lessons that we sometimes forget.  It was a little cheesey in parts, but sometimes I like a little cheese in my books.  Get reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment - you really do make my day!